Sunday 25 November 2012

Kite Project: Kite Development


Kite Project:
Kite Development 


"In order to start developing the shape Kite I would like to make, I decided to make a simple kite out of a plastic bag, some spare dowels and masking tape."

Prototype 1:


My original delta kite plan


 pocket folds for my dowels to sit in 


direction of fabric biased to allow my kite to fly an not stretch and sag

"I had to think about many aspects when creating my kite, things such as the direction that my fabric should be cut in to allow for stretch  tension and optimum flying ability. As well as alloying excess on my kite to create pockets for my dowels as well as added sewing allowance"



"I did cut out a kite in  a highly shiny fabric but unfortunately the fabric was also highly stretchy which cause a major problem when it came to sewing my kite together, even a simple seem ended up wonky un-usable side to my kite." 

"Therefore for my next kite i have bought a flat poly cotton bead sheet, which is much easier to sew and manipulate to create a kite capable of flying."

Spar Placing:



Spar Pockets & guide loops
"This illustrates how I intend to attach the spars to my kite, rolled pockets for the edge spars, and central pockets at top and bottom for the middle spar with guide loops for extra support."

No comments:

Post a Comment